We do what we can

Following on from the last post regarding my dilemma:

The decision has been made.

It is not really much of a change in my life but here goes:

After nearly 33 years as an ethical vegetarian, I am not going to become a Vegan.

I feel that an attempt within possible and practical limitations to eat a vegan diet, and to reduce further the impact my life has on the suffering of other sentient beings is the best way forwards.

So I shall move to remove dairy products and eggs, as much as reasonably possible from my life.

However I cannot declare that I am a Vegan because I do not believe it is possble in 21st century London without some huge changes to lifestyle; car and bike tyres are made using a process that involves animal products, and risks associated to health by not for example taking prescription drugs if required.

On my last trip to the supermarket I picked up some vegan "cheese" from Viotros called Violife.


The stuff is amazing.
It's made from coconut oil and potato starch, but tastes like a slightly salty gouda.

It's also soya free, which is something important to us middle aged vegetarian men who could easily consume more plant isoflavones than would be ideal. 
These Isoflavones actually provide many of the benefits of soy products, however Isoflavones, according to the American Cancer Society, can have weak estrogen-like activity and result in "man boobs" and a possible reduction in other "man" functions; muscle building etc.

With this in mind I checked out the vege options and the shops own brand product "free from" is virtually identical except it contains soya.
So Violife it is.

Another favorite with me and my cats (yes I like to share) is Quorn slices.




It tastes nothing like ham.

Yet strangely enough the cats like it. Unlike the Violife "Cheese" which they were not interested in.

Now my animals are carnivores, and I only give them a little piece of a slice to see what they think.
If a cat enjoys a fake meat but not a fake cheese, I find it interesting and worth futher investigation.

Unfortunately I ate the rest of the fake ham, and the "cheese" is earmarked for an under the grill on toast experiment later.

So the decision had been made.
Not a vegan life style, but as close to a vegan diet as I can reasonably get.

No soya milk, oh no, but almond or hazelnut is nice on my raw porridge oats for breakfast, and as I don't have milk in my tea, but do in coffee, it's not a huge leap to adjust this.

Cutting out eggs will mean stopping buying and eating eggs, although it's several years since I actually bought eggs, I did have a fried egg in a bun about 3 months ago.
I'm not yet at the point of excluding all products that have some egg in them as this is a big change, think cake, Quorn etc. However I'll do my best.

I'm considering a new pair of shoes that are not made of leather.
The problem here is that plastic shoes don't allow your feet to breath and they don't absorb perspiration the way leather does.
This is an ongoing issue that I will resolve in time.

Other more vegan based parameters such as not wearing leather or wool will be gradual.
It imo it is pointless to throw out my leather belt or  not wear my old shoes until they fall apart.

I know this is somewhat controversial, and many people may feel that I should ditch all the animal products I own.
I feel it is better to use them and than replace with cruelty free when required.

There we have it.
As my Kung Fu Shifu once said "Xiao buzhou". Little steps.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To vegan or not to vegan. A vegetarian dilemma.

Cats and dogs.

How much does a pint of milk cost?