Protein, B12 and other excuses

What about your protein intake? say many people.

What about B12? say sudo-smart arses.

Well, all that lovely muscle tissue you eat when stuffing burgers and steaks comes for animals that generally don't eat flesh. Pigs being the obvious exception.

Where do cows and sheep get all the nutrients to grow so much muscle?

I get mine from a varied vegetarian/vegan diet.

Initially following the removal of dairy products I was concerned that my protein intake might suffer, but we actually don't require anything like the amount of protein most people consume, hence why most heavy meat eaters suffer from regular constipation and ultimately die from stomach or bowel cancer.

High protein vegetables and beans etc also contain high levels of fibre, so no constipation for us flesh free folk.

Then there's "My Protein" Vegan blend.
It's a mix of pea, rice and hemp proteins with a bit of coco added.
It has a slightly odd flavour but I find I can digest it very well, and it contains all the essential amino acids for healthy muscle growth in humans.

There are plenty of plant based foods that contain all the nutrients we will ever need.

Or are there??????

What about vitamin B12?
This often is the flesh feasters favourite card to try and play against a flesh free diet.
But that are wrong, so very very wrong.

Meat munchers say that B12 can only be found in animal products.
Then where do the cows get it?
B12 is found in the soil. Cows consume grass and they also consume sufficient B12 for their needs.

Now I don't expect us to eat soil, but if we buy organic vegetables and don't scrub them so ruthlessly before cooking, then we can also get sufficient B12 from vege's.

Or

The simple answer to B12 is to take a supplement.
Many people take a daily multi vitamin supplement.
I used to take a daily borrocca, but now use the supermarket branded equivalent that costs £2 for a tube of soluble vitamins that gives me 374% of the RDA of B12.
The B12 in these supplements is synthetic, it is manufactured in a lab and is certified 100% vegan.

Then there is Marmite.
Marmite on toast is one of the tastiest ways to get your daily B12 needs.

So no, I don't suffer from lack of protein in my diet.
I also don't have any vitamin or mineral deficiency, to my knowledge.
Nor am I anaemic. At my last blood test, the nurse said my blood was a "lovely colour", scary but true.
I don't have high or low blood pressure.
I'm not diabetic.
I don't have a heart condition.
Nor am I ever constipated!

I am and will always be 100% vegetarian.
I'm still not living a 100% vegan lifestyle, but my diet is damn close to 100% vegan.

There is still room for improvement, and each step we take to reduce our consumption of animals and animal products is a step forwards however small, towards a future where one day our descendants will look back to this primitive time in horror, at the very thought of putting bits of dead animal in their mouths and calling it food.

What a wonderful world that will be.

Always remember:
We do what we can within our own limitations to minimise suffering to other living creatures.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To vegan or not to vegan. A vegetarian dilemma.

Cats and dogs.

How much does a pint of milk cost?